HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO BUY AND INSTALL A WATER SOFTENER?
A water softener is a device used to soften hard water by removing minerals
like calcium and magnesium.
Hard water is water that had high mineral content and is. Formed when water
percolates through deposits of limestone and chalk which are largely made
up of calcium and magnesium carbonates.
PROBLEMS WITH HARD WATER IN HOMES
Hard water interferes with every cleaning task from laundering and dishwashing to bathing and per-
- Hard water affects the amount of soap and detergent necessary for cleaning.
- Clothes laundered in hard water may feel harsh and scratchy.
- Dishes and glasses may be spotted when dry.
- Hard water may cause a film on glass shower doors, shower walls, bathtubs, sinks, faucets, etc.
- Skin washed with hard water can become itchy and dry.
- Water flow may be reduced by deposits in pipes and shower heads.
- Faucets and other fixtures can have permanent deposits on them and the chrome finish can be destroyed.
Dealing with hard water problems in the home can be devastating. Soap used in hard water combines with the minerals to form a sticky soap curd in washbasins and bathtubs. The film may prevent removal of soil and bacteria. Bathing with soap in hard water leaves a film of sticky soap curd on the skin.
When laundry is done in hard water, laundry detergent is made less effective because of hardness minerals and additional detergent must be added to get the same results.
EFFECTS OF HARD WATER ON PIPES
The calcium found in hard water leach out and form a substance called lime and when the lime builds up in pipes, it causes a lot of damages such as pipe blockage, decreased water availability and it will eat through pipes and create small holes that cause leaks.
The best way to stop the effects of hard water is by installing water softeners.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO BUY A WATER SOFTENER?
How much the water softener costs depends on:
- The size
- Features of the softener
- Brand of the softener.
TYPES OF WATER SOFTENING METHODS
There are three types of water softening methods which are:
Salt-based water softener
This salt-based water softener system does a perfect job in softening hard water.
Hard water causes scale formation inside water pipes so salt-based units expel calcium and magnesium off the water through an ion exchange method.
During the process, the polymer raisin bed replaces hard mineral ion for sodium particles. Salt-based water softeners require salt pallets and are also said to be the best solution to deal with hard water when the level of hardness in the water is very high.
Pros of a salt-based water softener
- It will completely eliminate magnesium and calcium from the water, making it soft and will prevent the damage of pipes leakage, pipes blockage and also, give you access to demineralized water when you turn on the faucet.
- It will safeguard your appliances like shower, bathtub, sink, kitchen, toilet, dishwasher and Washing machine from scale buildup and also extend its durability.
- It will enhance the lathering ability of soaps and shampoos.
Cons of a salt-based water softener
- The salt-based water system will require a lot of salt in order tofunction properly and it increases the overall expense of water softening.
- The salt-based water softener requires proper and frequent maintenance.
PRICE OF THE SALT-BASED WATER SOFTENER
– In general, salt-based water softeners cost about $400 to $3700,
depending on the brand.
Salt-free water softener
A salt-free water softener will very often use no electricity, create no wastewater and of course, you won’t need to
continuously buy salt.
Pros Of Salt-free water softener
- The Salt-free technology is highly recommended to those who want caneco-friendly, chemical-free solution to take care of hard water problem.
- It does not completely remove minerals which are somehow useful to the body, it conditions the hard water and the changed form of minerals prevents them from sticking to the interior of pipes or any other water source.
- Installing the salt-free water softener is easy
- The maintenance cost of the salt-free water softener is zero!
Cons of salt-free water softeners
- Critics and some government agencies say salt-free softeners are not as effective as it’s counterpart unless the level of hardness is low
- They run on electricity slowing down the conditioning process.
PRICE OF THE SALT-FREE WATER SOFTENER
Salt-free water softeners range in price from about $1300 to $3000
Magnetic Water Softeners
The magnetic Water system is a method of reducing the effects of hard water by passing it through a magnetic field as a non-chemical alternative to water softening.
COST OF A MAGNETIC WATER SOFTENER
- Magnetic Water Softeners may cost just under $100 or as much as $800
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO INSTALL A WATER SOFTENER?
If you are handy with tools and comfortable with written instructions, a water softener can be installed utilizing the do-it-yourself (DIY) method.
Nevertheless, because of the nature of do-it-yourself projects, it’s best to have a professional install your softener due to the number of problems that can arise if additional plumbing issues occur.
DIY Cost – About $500 for a basic installation kit and unit.
Minimum professional installation cost – About $800 to $1,000 for a small home (1 – 2 bedrooms)
Average professional installation cost –About $1,000 to $2,500 for larger homes (3+ bedrooms)
Maximum professional installation cost – $3,000 + for a larger unit with multiple options: purifiers and wi-fi controls.